来源： 浏览： 发布日期：2018-03-16 10:25
长难句：It is imagined by many that the operations of the common mind can be by no means compared with these processes, and that they have to be acquired by a sort of special training.
【句子主干】It is imagined that the operations can be by no means compared with these processes, and that they have to be acquired by special training.
句子的框架是 it is imagined … that…, and that …。这是典型的句型it + is + p. p. （过去分词）+ that clause。it是形式主语，句子真正的主语是两个并列的that引导的主语从句，由连词and 连接。
operation 此处不能译成“操作”，根据上下文应译成“活动”，这里的processes 要译成“思维过程”，而不能简单地理解成“过程”。
by no means–无法
英翻中：There is no agreement whether methodology refers to the concepts peculiar to historical work in general or to the research techniques appropriate to the various branches of historical inquiry.
1. Whether the government should increase the financing of pure science at the expense of technology or vice versa, often depends on the issue of which is seen as the driving force.
2. How well the predictions will be validated by later performance depends upon the amount, reliability, and appropriateness of the information used and on the skill and wisdom with which it is interpreted.
Furthermore, it is obvious that the strength of a country’s economy is directly bound up with the efficiency of its agriculture and industry, and that this in turn rests upon the efforts of scientists and technologists of all kinds.
【句子主干】Furthermore, it is obvious that the strength is bound up with the efficiency, and that this in turn rests upon the efforts.
句子的框架是furthermore, it is obvious that…, and that …。这是典型的句型it + is + obvious + that clause。it 是形式主语，真正的主语是由连词and连接的两个并列的主语从句：a. that the strength is …bound with…; b. and that this … rests upon the efforts …。第一个主语从句中的词组be bound up with是“与…有关联”之意；在第二个主语从句中，代词this指代前文的the efficiency of its agriculture and industry，译为“效率的提高”。
be directly bound up with –密切相关
英翻中：It seemed almost unbelievable but what appeared to be happening was that the fault was actually being lubricated by the injection of the fluid.
1. What could be a key to jet lag and winter blues is the hormone melatonin, which is known to regulate body rhythms.
2. There are now 31 million kids in the 12-to-19 age group, and demographers predict that there will be 35 million teens by 2010, a population bigger than even the baby boom at its peak.
It is scarcely surprising, then, that education systems have for several decades past been severely criticized, partly on the ground that education prepares people to live in an already outdated society.
【句子主干】It is scarcely surprising that education systems have been severely criticized, partly on the ground that education prepares people to live in an outdated society.
句子的框架是it is … surprising … that education system have … been … criticized, … on the ground that …。it 是形式主语，真正的主语是that引导的主语从句，而主语从句又包含了that引导的同位语从句that education prepares people to live in an already outdated society 作介词词组on the ground 中ground的同位语，ground这里的意思是“根据”。
on the ground –根据
英翻中：Experts are debating whether we should burden young children with mental computation, or encourage the use of calculators to relieve children of hard work and free their minds to understand math concepts.
1. There are strong grounds for thinking that the health of both individuals and societies derives from what we’re able to put into life, rather than what we try to get out of it.
2. It therefore becomes more and more important that, if students are not to waste their opportunities, there will have to be much more detailed information about courses and more advice.
A religious sect that contends that space travelers created the human race by cloning themselves declared Friday that the first cloned human had been born, but it offered few details and no evidence to support the claim.
【句子主干】A religious sect declared Friday that the first cloned human had been born, but it offered few details and no evidence to support the claim.
句子的框架是a religious sect… declared … that …, but it offered…。这个句子中，由but连接了两个并列分句。在前一个分句中，由that引导的定语从句that contends that… by cloning themselves修饰先行词a religious sect，而定语从句中又包含了that引导的宾语从句作动词contends的宾语。
英翻中：At a large terminal railway station, the work of the station master is largely administrative because of the extent of the operations and the staff of which he is in command.
1. Yet no such effect had been detected in any of the ingenious and delicate experiments that physicists had devised: the velocity of light did not vary.
2. If the probe takes, say, 100 years to make a copy of itself, then the average speed at which all probes would spread throughout the galaxy would be about 1/25th the speed of light.
As brighter areas of the image eject more electrons than the darker or shaded portions, an electronic image is produced in which varying degrees of positive charge duplicate light intensities seen in the scene being pictured.
【句子主干】As brighter areas eject more electrons than the darker or shaded portions, an electronic image is produced.
eject - 发射
1. Attending services at the Cathedral of Pisa, he found himself watching a swinging chandelier, which air currents shifted now in wide arcs, now in small ones.
2. Although he got generally good grades and was outstanding in mathematics, Einstein hated the academic high school he was sent to in Munich, where success depended on memorization and obedience to arbitrary authority.